Having been forced back into routine very early on the 3rd of January I’ll admit it has actually been nice having some structure again after the festive madness. I remember well the feeling of achievement getting through my first healthy week of 2016 by writing ‘Pum update…Week 1 January DONE’.
I’m at it again and while there has been a few stray Christmas chocolates, a sticky toffee pudding incident and a couple of glasses of wine consumed, for the most part I’ve gone into January with a healthy mind-set.
Last week’s fitness rundown:
- Tuesday (1st day back at work)
- 5 mins cross trainer warm up
- boxing sets of jabs, uppers, hooks and a squat combination
- low-key for starting back but my legs felt it!
- Insanity fitness test DVD
- I piggybacked on my team-member’s workout, it was tough but I did feel great having done it.
- Weights circuit (deadlifts, squats, pull-downs, bench-press, tricep-curls and Russian twists)
- I really like the weights circuit I follow, I start at the back of the gym and work my way towards the exit!
- 30 mins cross trainer workout.
- 7 mile walk at Loch Katrine.
I’m back on the oats wagon and have mainly been having porridge or overnight oats for breakfast. They fill me up and are perfect if I’m going to the gym over lunchtime as I don’t ever feel weak or queasy (which I sometimes do if I’ve not had enough to eat).
I’ve also been having soup every day for lunch. Last week’s choice was a lovely homemade roast butternut squash and parsnip blended soup (roasted with plenty smoked paprika) – very yummy! The only downside to this is that I don’t seem to be the only one making fresh healthy soups as the queue for the microwave in work has doubled!
Despite having a bit of a focus on healthy eating I’ve still managed to have some really nice dinners. Josh was a star last week and pretty much had my dinner ready for me every night (due to year-end madness in work). We had duck, chicken, and sea bass throughout the week. I also got a chance to use my new Denby bowls (I already had the shallow ones but my mum got me the big deep ones for Christmas, perfect for stir-fry).
All in all it has been a week of balance, no extreme January crash diets but getting back into a good routine!