Comfort food at it’s finest, this recipe was never going to win ‘the healthiest meal’ award but it’s good home cooking and in moderation I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, plus it was bloomin’ delicious!!
Based on Nigella’s Rapid Ragu which was recommended to me by my friend from work, I tweaked this into a pie (shepherd’s pie style not pastry) to serve another friend for dinner…I seem to be entertaining a lot these days!
Pum’s Delicious Lamb Pie
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 125g cubed bacon
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 75g caramelized onions (bought from supermarket)
- 700g white potatoes
- 400g (1 can) chopped tomatoes
- 75g green lentils
- 100g low fat cheddar cheese
- 100g light cream cheese
- Started the lentils by boiling in water for 20 mins.
- In the meantime peeled and chopped the potatoes and boiled for 20 mins in salted water.
- To make the lamb base, heat the oil in a pan and added the garlic and bacon and cooked until bacon crisped up (careful not to burn the garlic), added the lamb and browned then added the caramelized onions, marsala and chopped tomatoes and lentils (when done) and left to bubble for 20 mins.
- Mashed the potatoes with the cream cheese.
- When the lamb sauce had thickened, layered in a baking dish the lamb with the mashed potato, topped with cheese and baked in the oven for 30 mins until the cheese bubbled.
As is always the case with cooking for friends I take more pictures of the cooking process than of the finished article, but trust me that this is one tasty meal!
I can’t wait to try something similar with turkey mince and sweet potato, mmm!