As I mentioned in my Banana Muffins recipe post, I had friends over to my flat for dinner recently and wanted to use my Hemsley & Hemsley cookbook for meal inspiration.
I used their recipe for a Hot Buckwheat Noodle Salad as a starting point, tweaking and making substitutions to come up with my own Hot Buckwheat Noodle Beef Salad.
You can see their full recipe here or better yet go with my tried and tested variation!
Pum’s Hot Buckwheat Noodle Beef Salad
- marinade ingredients (2 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper)
- 500g beef, cut into strips
- 2 portions buckwheat noodles
- large handful shredded red cabbage
- large handful carrots, sliced lengthways
- small handful radishes, thinly sliced
- small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 springe oil onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- large handful chives, chopped finely
- small handful cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp. sunflower seeds
- dressing ingredients (juice of 1 lemon, 2 tbsp. sesame oil, 2 cloves garlic crushed, salt and pepper, 2 tbsp. olive oil)
- Mixed together the marinade ingredients and combined with the beef, coated well and left for 15-20 mins (prepared the veg in this time).
- Boiled the buckwheat noodles in water for 5 mins. When tender drained and rinsed with cold water and tossed with 1 tbsp. sesame oil.
- Dry toasted the cashew nuts in a pan for 2 mins (should be golden not burnt).
- In a pan added 1 tbsp. sesame oil and cooked the red onion and spring onions for 2 mins. Then added the carrots and cabbage and cooked for 5-10 mins until the veg had softened but still has some bite. Added salt and pepper.
- Fried the beef in a pan until desired level (I like my beef a little rare) and left to rest for 5 mins.
- Mixed all dressing ingredients together.
- Topped the noodles with the veg, then the beef, radishes, nuts, seeds, chives and poured over the dressing.
This is such a good, balanced meal and went down really well. The girls seemed to love it (given away by the request for seconds)!!
Definitely one I’ll be making for myself and friends again!