I recently blogged a recipe for a quinoa bake I had made for my friends that I just loved so much!
So much so that I tried to recreate it again…but as I swapped some ingredients for the ones I had to hand at the time I came up with quite a different dish, but again so so good! I’m really enjoying the delicious flavour of tamarind sauce right now, if you’ve not tried it I definitely recommend it.
Pum’s Super Saucy Veggie Lentil Quinoa
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 2 large heads of broccoli
- 2 + 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 tbsp. ground flax/chia seed
- 2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce (check vegan if required)
- 3 tbsp. tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp. tamarind sauce
- 2 tsp. pure maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- Combined lentils and water in a pan over a medium heat for 20 mins. Then added washed quinoa, stirred and cooked for a further 10 mins until water absorbed (careful doesn’t stick to the pan).
- Added oil, garlic and onion to a pan over a low heat and sautéed for 10 mins. Then added celery, oregano and thyme and cooked for a further 10 mins until soft. Stir through the currants.
- In a separate pan boiled the broccoli in water until tender (after chopping into bite sized pieces).
- Combined the quinoa/lentil mixture and the cooked veg along with the flax/chia seeds, tamarind sauce, ketchup, worcestershire sauce and salt/pepper to taste.
- Mixed the spinach in well until wilted.
I made this on a super organised meal prep day along with some lentil ham soup…
(the chili pictured unfortunately is not mine it’s some leftovers made by Chris but I will definitely be getting the recipe from him it was really tasty!)
On a fairly hectic week at work it’s brilliant to have my meals organised, no stress in the kitchen whatsoever!