Back from a slight blogging hiatus over the Christmas break I thought I’d share one of my favourite recent recipes…
This recipe was intended for my veggie friend Kirsty as part of a Christmas dinner I was making for the girls. The recipe makes tonnes so I made an individual portion for her, a larger portion as a side for the rest of us and there was even enough for leftovers.
This was such a success that I could have easily missed the turkey and served this up to everyone as the main!!
The sauces in this bake give the dish a sweet and tangy taste but don’t overpower. It was really delicious and not to mention super good for you with the amazing quinoa, lentils and veggies!
Pum’s Lovely Lentil Quinoa Bake
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 + 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 tbsp. ground flax/chia seed
- 2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce (check vegan if required)
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp. tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp. tamarind sauce
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 3 tsp. pure maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- Combined lentils and water in a pan over a medium heat for 20 mins. Then added washed quinoa, stirred and cooked for a further 10 mins until water absorbed (careful doesn’t stick to the pan).
- Added oil, garlic and onion to a pan over a low heat and sautéed for 10 mins. Then added carrots, celery, oregano and thyme and cooked for a further 10 mins until soft. Stir through the currants.
- Combined the quinoa/lentil mixture and the cooked veg along with the flax/chia seeds, 2 tbsp. tamarind sauce, 3 tbsp. ketchup, 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce, fennel seeds and salt/pepper to taste.
- Mixed the breadcrumbs in well and put mixture in a baking dish.
- Mixed together the remaining sauces (1/4 cup ketchup, 1 tbsp. tamarind, 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce and 3 tsp. maple syrup) and glaze the mixture in the baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven on a medium heat for 30 mins.
I got the above ground chia and flax seed mix from the supermarket but you can easily make your own or add the same quantity of ground oats for a similar effect.
I’m so glad I had leftovers as this is what I’m tucking into tonight. Just the thing to get my body back on track after a hectic Christmas!