Turkey mince is a great lean source of protein and so versatile. I’m trying to gradually increase my protein intake in a healthy way (and hopefully as a result reduce my carb intake for later in the day) so lean sources of protein are what I’m after.
I’ll often make a turkey ‘chili’ or turkey ‘bolognese’ but recently enjoyed a light and tasty meal with turkey mince combined with brown rice in lettuce wraps that I’ll definitely be making again soon.
Pum’s Tasty Turkey Brown Rice Lettuce Wraps
- 450g turkey mince (size of 1 pack so this will do 2 large portions or be great for your lunch tomorrow)
- 1 cup brown rice
- Little gem lettuce (4 large leaves)
- 1/4 whole cucumber
- 1 tsp. chilli flakes
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups stock (I like beef stock with this it gives a rich meaty taste, but any will do)
- Black pepper
- Cooked brown rice in boiling water for 40 mins.
- 20 mins later added the turkey mince to a large pan with the oil and browned the mince. When no traces of pink left added the oregano and chilli flakes and combined well. Added the stock and left to bubble.
- When rice ready, drained and added to the mince stirring through and cooked for a further 5 mins.
- When turkey mince rice mixture had soaked up most of the liquid filled lettuce leaves and topped with cucumber strips and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
Easy variations on this would be to cook in different spices, drizzle in balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha sauce or serve along with other veggies. So delicious and a good healthy way to end your day.