For any spicy food wimps out there (I have to say I am a bit of a self-confessed spicy wimp) this salad is a great way to enjoy the amazing taste of sriracha without your mouth feeling like it’s on fire.
If you’ve never tried sriracha (pronounced see-rotch-ah) before (where have you been?!) it’s a delicious Thai chili/hot sauce that goes with pretty much everything; meat, fish, veg, grains, eggs, cheese…the list goes on! You should be able to find it in most supermarkets and really is a staple to have in the cupboard to (literally) spice up your meals.
However as the type of sauce (hot) would suggest it can be pretty nippy. So I love the addition of pomegranate in this salad to freshen things up.
Pum’s Pomegranate Sriracha Tuna Salad
- 1 tin tuna
- 1/2 a whole pomegranate
- Generous squeeze sriracha sauce (to taste)
- Salad leaves (I like watercress, rocket and spinach with this for increased pepperiness)
- Mixed the tuna with the sriracha sauce to combine well.
- Topped the salad leaved with the tuna (and an extra drizzle of sriracha for good measure).
- Sprinkled the pomegranate seeds over the salad.
With every mouthful there’s the heat and amazing flavour of the sriracha but also a burst of juice from the pomegranate seeds which calms the spiciness down, just in time for the next bite!
Obviously it goes without saying that this is a light and healthy meal too, so great for a well behaved weeknight dinner.