In my old health un-conscious ways, if I wanted chocolate for breakfast then I would have it. I’m not talking a chocolate bar because that would be bad, obviously. I’m talking pain au chocolat smeared in nutella with a hot chocolate, which is fine because that’s breakfast food…eh no!!
I can’t say my love for chocolate has diminished with my attempt at a healthier mindset but the ways in which I’m satisfying this have definitely changed.
It’s no secret on pumdiets that I love porridge. It’s 100% my breakfast of choice and it’s great that I can get my ‘chocolate hit’ while still enjoying one of the healthiest and balanced breakfasts there is.
My Antioxidant Chocolate Oats is so good because it features raw cacao. While similar to cocoa, cacao is much healthier as it is not processed in the same way thus maintaining the raw bean’s nutritional content. Raw cacao is rich in magnesium, sulphur, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium and manganese. All fab minerals helping to support the cardiovascular and nervous system and also promote glowing skin while boosting your mood…or so the science says.
Yes raw cacao is more difficult to find (you can find it in some large supermarkets, specialist health shops and most certainly online) and at first glance will appear more expensive, but as it has a more intense and rich flavour than cocoa powder you use much less of it so it does last much longer.
Pum’s Antioxidant Chocolate Oats
- 1/4 cup porridge oats
- 1/4 cup oat bran (if you don’t have oat bran just make with 1/2 cup porridge oats)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 heaped tbsp. raw cacao
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pure maple syrup or agave syrup
- Combined the porridge oats, oat bran and almond milk in a pan over a medium heat, stirred for 1 min.
- Added the raw cacao and cinnamon and combined well. Stirred the mixture over the heat for 3-5 mins until desired consistency reached.
- Took off the heat and added the syrup for a touch of sweetness. Enjoyed the chocolately goodness!
I’ve harped on about the health benefits of this breakfast enough above but overall it tastes bloomin amazing. Even though it is so decadent it is really satisfying so I’m not left craving more…until the next day that is!