I’m on dog-sitting duties this weekend while my parents are on holiday. I love being back at their house, it’s my childhood home and I just feel so relaxed here. All I want to do this weekend is eat good food, go big walks and spend some time with the doggies.
Already been sent a little
embarrassing selfie from the parents on holiday so I know they’re having a great time! And there’s the double-trouble-doggy-duo Mac and Jade…
I had my lovely friend Catriona round for a chilled Friday dinner (and overdue catch up) and decided to make my lamb ragu. This is inspired very much by Nigella’s ‘Pappardelle with Lamb Ragu’ recipe found here: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/pappardelle-with-lamb-ragu
Instead of pasta however I chose to serve mine with lettuce wraps, a simple leaf salad and a mixed quinoa salad…and sauvignon blanc of course!
Pum’s Lamb Ragu with Lettuce Wraps, Quinoa and Salad
- Handful of spring onions chopped up
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried mint
- 500g minced lamb
- 2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. redcurrant jelly
- 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 100g quinoa
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- Generous serving baby spinach
- 1/4 large cucumber cut into strips
- Handful plum tomatoes
- Added olive oil to a large pan and cooked the spring onion with the spices for 2 mins.
- Added the lamb, mixed well and cooked until no longer pink.
- Combined with the chopped tomatoes, redcurrant jelly, worcestershire sauce, a shake of salt and pepper, stirred well and left to simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a pot combined the quinoa with the stock and cooked for 15 mins.
- Made a simple leaf salad of spinach, cucumber and plum tomatoes.
- When quinoa cooked combined with the red and yellow peppers and another shake of dried mint.
- Serve the ragu with lettuce wraps, the quinoa salad and the simple leaf salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar (if dressing desired).
Lamb is quite a fatty meat so it’s definitely one I save for a good indulgent meal and it really was delicious and a bit more guilt-free without the pasta! This also made loads so there were plenty of leftovers.
Oh aaaand as a little present to say thanks for coming home and watching the dogs my parents got me a nutribullet! Lucky girl I know! So look out for some more smoothie and juice recipes to come…
Just having my first green juice now (spinach, cucumber, romaine lettuce and aloe water).