After overindulging I feel the need to hit reset and at least make an attempt to get my body feeling healthy again.
I’ve just returned home from spending the weekend with big sis biff and boyfriend in Aberdeen. I had a great time, it just went by too quickly! After having a really healthy week last week I was all for having a ‘cheat’ weekend and don’t regret it one bit.
Friday night is most definitely a blur! They had a flat warming party which ended in a nightclub (well the night actually ended in the chip shop…no recollection of this whatsoever). I’m not sure how much I had to drink but let’s just say a lot of wine and leave it at that.
Saturday was spent brunching at Rye & Soda, where a salted beef macaroni cheese, smoked cheddar mash AND fries sorted my hangover right out!
We had a bit of a lazy afternoon (reading and watching movies) and then biff cooked up a Thai aubergine chicken curry for a late dinner. This was really yum and a recipe I’ll soon be copying.
This morning I knew I had to get my act together so after a breakfast of porridge (on the balcony, basking in the sunshine…bliss) biff and I went for a walk along the riverside. Felt great after this!
So back down the road and starving after a 2-3 hr drive it could have been very easy to order a take-away or make myself a big bowl of pasta. But that would just make me feel worse tomorrow so my better judgement won and I made a super tasty and nourishing dinner.
Pum’s Garlic and Red Pepper Courgetti
- 2 courgettes
- 2 cloves garlic
- Splash olive oil
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed the garlic and added to a pan (I use a large wok) with the olive oil over a low heat for 5 mins.
- Chopped the red pepper and added to the garlic for 1 or 2 mins.
- Added the chopped tomatoes, oregano, chilli and a good pinch of salt and black pepper to the pan, stirred and simmered over a low heat for 5 mins.
- Spiralized the courgettes and blanched in hot water for 1 min.
- Serve the courgette ‘noodles’ with the garlic red pepper sauce.
Now I was being organised and making soup for the week (favourite Sunday pastime – just get some Bruce Springsteen on and we’re having a party in the kitchen). I wasn’t actually planning to have some of this soup today but after tasting I couldn’t believe how thick and delicious it was…so helped myself to a bowl!
Pum’s Red Lentil, Coconut and Sweet Potato Soup
- 100g red lentils
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 5 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Peeled and chopped the sweet potatoes and baked in the oven with the coconut oil for 30-40 mins until soft.
- Combined the lentils and vegetable stock and simmered on a low heat for 20 mins.
- When potatoes ready added to the lentils with the coconut milk and simmered for 5 mins.
- Blended up the soup to a thick consistency.
As I said I couldn’t believe how delicious this soup turned out, up there with the favourites for sure.
I’m so pleased I made this dinner, feel it’s set me up to have a great week. I’m aiming for another very healthy week this week, so wish me luck…