In conversation with one of my ‘healthiest’ friends he mentioned that he has started eating oat bran for breakfast because it is so good for you. Oat bran? Ok I like to think that I’m generally well informed about healthy grains but I’ll admit I didn’t actually know what this was, how it differed to porridge oats or why it would be better for me.
After some brief research I knew I needed to try this!
Lower in calories, higher in fibre and protein than porridge oats and proven to lower cholesterol, oat bran seems like an all round great breakfast option and one that will help me continue to lose the poundage!
I came back from my mini-holiday last night and thought this morning was a good opportunity to try this for the first time…
Pum’s Simple Oat Bran
- 1 cup almond milk (or water/milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 1/2 banana mashed
- Maple syrup for drizzling
- Soaked the oat bran in almond milk overnight.
- In the morning heat the oat bran mix along with the mashed banana over a low/medium heat stirring well for 5 minutes.
- Serve with maple syrup (or honey, agave etc.)
This was so delicious and a lovely texture. The banana gives enough sweetness that you probably don’t need as much syrup as I had…but it was gooood. It really kept me filled up too!
I can’t wait to try different varieties and I’ll definitely be incorporating this into my breakfast meal plans.