Ahhh maple syrup…my old friend. A favourite holiday dessert/breakfast when I was younger and we were holidaying in Florida was pancakes, maple syrup and ice cream. The maple syrup we used was the big, sweet, sticky bottle from Aunt Jemima mmmm…
Now I still love maple syrup but try to buy pure and organic.
60ml of Aunt Jemima Syrup is 210 calories compared to 162 calories in 60 ml of Clarks Pure Maple Syrup. I also find with the pure syrup you use less of it because it’s a stronger flavour.
Maple syrup is a great addition to most breakfast foods in my opinion but you can’t ever go wrong adding it to porridge.
Pum’s Maple Coconut Porridge
- 1/2 cup porridge oats
- 1/2-1 cup coconut milk (depending on desired consistency)
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- Mix the porridge oats with the coconut milk in a pan over a low heat.
- Add ginger powder and heat for 5-10 minutes stirring regularly until reaches desired consistency.
- Serve in a bowl sprinkled with the chia seeds and desiccated coconut and a good drizzle of maple syrup.