I quite often do pitta ‘pizzas’ for a quick lunch or dinner. Basically topping an open pitta bread with any cheese or veggies will give a pizza-like feel but will be sooooo much better for you!
I recently got the inspiration for this version of a pitta ‘pizza’ from ‘Rachel Cooks’ (her blog is great and definitely worth a read). I have adapted this recipe to make it lighter and simpler. Her recipe uses provolone cheese which I think would be so yum but for a mid-week dinner I’ve opted to take this out just to keep things really healthy.
Please take a look at her recipe as it looks so good:
Pum’s Pitta Pizza
- 1 whole-wheat pitta bread
- 2 tbsp. cottage cheese
- handful of chives
- 5 spears of asparagus
- Salt and pepper
- Slice open the pitta bread and pop in the toaster for just a minute to warm through and crisp up slightly.
- Chop the asparagus into small pieces and dry fry in a pan over a medium heat, shaking and moving regularly as you don’t want to burn. Test to see when ready (should be cooked but still have some ‘bite’).
- Spread 1 tbsp. of cottage cheese over each pitta half.
- Top with the cooked asparagus, half the chives finely chopped and some salt and pepper.
- Put under the grill for 10 mins (checking carefully).
- Serve with the remaining chopped fresh chives.
If I’m having this for a lunch I might serve with a simple salad but if I’m having for a dinner I love eat this alongside oven baked aubergine drizzled in a little olive oil…so tasty!