So after an alcohol heavy weekend I really am focussed on having a really healthy week. Oh Monday, always filled with the best of intentions!
My day has been pretty good so far. Breakfast was shredded wheat with almond milk, coffee with coconut milk and a green tea when I got into work. Pre-workout snack was 1 buckwheat rice cake with low fat houmous. I did a 10 minute treadmill run then 3 rounds of circuits at lunch (around 30 mins) then had carrot and lentil soup and a banana for lunch then another green tea and an apple for an afternoon snack.
However due to being a little worse for wear yesterday I haven’t done a fresh food shop and I had no idea what my dinner would be. So when I got home I began raiding the cupboards. Good job because I had all the ingredients for a buckwheat chili…yum!
Pum’s Buckwheat Chili
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin red kidney beans
- 3/4 cup buckwheat
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp. chili powder (I use hot and this makes it quite spicy, just judge based on your taste preferences)
- 1 tbsp. paprika (I use smoked because I love the flavour)
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- few shakes of salt and pepper
- Add all ingredients except from the buckwheat in a pot over a medium heat. Stir well and heat for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the buckwheat and add to the pot. Cook for 20 minutes or until reached desired consistency. Leave 5 minutes before eating (helps it to thicken up to a chili like consistency).
This recipe is
unintentionally vegan. You can also change it up by adding any veggies you like; chopped carrots, mushrooms, sweet potato, aubergine are all great additions. Always good on a less organised day as can be completely made from store cupboard ingredients…win!