So if you read my What Pum ate…week 6 post you’ll know I discovered that the shop bought granola I was happily munching away at had a ridiculous amount of sugar in it. I then swapped granola out of my diet for porridge or shredded wheat to avoid having so much sugar in the morning. My friend Catriona read my post and suggested I make my own granola to control how much sugar was in the mix, which I had attempted before and failed (burnt oats does not taste good), but since she is the goddess of all things in the kitchen (in my eyes) I followed her advice and gave it another go to a bloomin great success. Thanks Cat!
A lot of recipes for granola I’ve come across do still require quite a lot of oil and sugar. My recipe doesn’t have very much sugar at all and I think the spices make up for this but you can always adapt the recipe to your taste buds if you think you need it a bit sweeter by adding more honey.
My recipe uses uncooked quinoa. This gives it a really crunchy texture which I love. If you prefer a softer cereal or have reservations about eating toasted quinoa that hasn’t been precooked you can easily soak your quinoa overnight first.
Pum’s quinoa nut granola…
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup porridge oats
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger
- nuts of choice (I use roughly a small handful each of brazil nuts, almonds and walnuts)
- Roughly chop the nuts to desired consistency (I like them still quite big for more crunch).
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a baking tray and mix well.
- Melt the coconut oil and honey and add along with the peanut butter to the dry mix and stir well (you have to mash in the peanut butter, I left a few clumps in to give some tasty clusters).
- Bake in the oven at a medium heat for 30 mins.
- Now this is important! You have to stir every 5 minutes or the mix can easily burn. Take particular care if using walnuts as these can catch and burn very quickly.
- Leave the mix to cool or enjoy hot with greek yoghurt or your milk of choice (delicious with coconut milk).